Monday morning. Work.
Some guy calls in about fifteen minutes before his scheduled appointment. I am available to talk to him (about his finances and possible assistance), so the call gets transferred to me. I told him to hold a sec until I get his file up. He must have believed that he is “on hold” and I cannot hear him, so he talks with some other guy:
“This one does not even speak English, I think they got one of those c**** (1) people”
Too bad I heard him.
“I overheard what you have said and I cannot go further with this appointment”
“What? What have you just said?” (2)
“I overheard what you have said and I have to end this discussion here. I suggest that you call back to request somebody that speaks English”
He hung up. I asked one of my co-workers to call him and when she called she was told that she went hunting and will be out for a while. (3) I am afraid that he will need some comprehensive anger management therapy now.
But I... I feel liberated. (4)
(1) I cannot figure out why but people that just hear me on the phone assume that I am:
1. South Asian (mainly Indian), 2. East Asian (mainly Chinese), 3. Hispanic.
This guy might have said “ Chinese” and not “chink” but his opinion about my (lack off) competence was obvious.
(2) I think he had a shock when I told him that I could tell him off for his bigotry. Can you believe the guts of this Indian/Chinese/ Hispanic lady?
(3) Maybe he went to join Sarah Palin on an Alaskan hunting trip. (I surely hope they contain themselves to hunt wild beasts).
(4) It felt so darn good. I do not know how other people might think, but I got my (East) European ego and it needs to express itself sometimes…