Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Confession Tuesday


Last week I received  bag full of goodies (a backpack of books).

Collected FictionsNow that a week had passed I shall thank my friend for bringing Borges back into my life - I definitely missed reading him. I really needed to read it again but I do think anyone would need my review.







No Logo: 10th Anniversary Edition with a New Introduction by the AuthorThe week's second read :"No Logo" by Naomi Klein. The book is a must read even though you may not (I may not) agree with Klein's basic beliefs. It is an in depth, intelligent analysis of branding as well as job issues such as temp employment and outsourcing well supported by facts.






 





Most important the Man Booker Prize long list was just announced and here are (at a glance) the four books I consider reading whilst juggling job applications and other obligations. Ideally, i.e. if time allows, I shall be able to read all thirteen books. Or I can cheat and eliminate the ones that are not really worth my oh! so precious time by reading  Falstaff's reviews. (hopefully he'll post them this year as well).



The Slap: A Novel
Christos Tsiolkas, the Slap (Commonwealth Writers' Prize 2009) -an Australian author with an obvious Greek ancestry and a skill for intriguing titles (what do you think about: Who's Afraid of the Working Class? ). Not to mention openly gay (which I found out after I made my choice). 




Parrot and Olivier in America
Peter Carey Parrot and Olivier in America , because it is Peter Carey.









The Long Song: A NovelAndrea Levy's The Long Song  tells the story of a house slave in 19th Century Jamaica, so is a good match to my latest reading travels. Also, according to her Brtish Council presentation:  "Critics have praised the novel’s refusal of easy racial binaries and its nuanced characterization in this respect". And I always favored books praised to overcome stereotypes.


 
 
 
Trespass: A Novel
 
And last but not least , Trespass by Rose Tremain. A book about healing, with characters able to overcome barriers such as gender and sexuality .

No comments: